Saturday, November 15, 2008

How do they know us?

"A new command I give you: Love one another. As I have loved you, so you must love one another. By this all men will know that you are my disciples, if you love one another." ~ John 13:34-35

I've been thinking recently how we, both as Christians and as a society, have lost the sense of community over the past few generations. We're a selfish people, a suspicious people, a people that are far more concerned about looking out for ourselves and our immediate circle than for our fellow man.

Those thoughts brought me to the above verse, and then I got to thinking about how the world perceives us as Christians. Ask someone outside of the faith what they think of "Christians" or "the Christian church" in general, and I guarantee you the first thing out of their mouth is not going to be that we show to each other and those around us the love that Christ showed us.

Jesus didn't tell his disciples (and us) that people would know we belong to him because we browbeat sinners, or because we display a cross, or because we have an Ichthys fish on our car, or because we have a pro-life sign in our yard. He said they would know because we love one another. Sounds pretty simple.

So why isn't it?

1 comment:

Unknown said...

Well Pastor Suz.... that was incredible... very well said. You aptly pegged both how the world see's "Christians" and how we allow ourselves to be "seen".

Why isn't it easy.... I sure don'tknow....