Sunday, February 1, 2009

Fireproof

Have any of ya'll seen this yet? They're having a Date Night at church next Saturday and will be showing Fireproof after dinner. I hope Will and I get to go. Of course that would mean he would have to not be working that night, but the way things are going right now it wouldn't surprise me any.

Speaking of work, he worked Friday night 7 pm to 7 am, called me around 9:30 am to ask me something about the tires he was buying, and then emailed me from work about 10:15 am. I emailed him back and asked him if he got ANY sleep at all (he had planned to go crash for a few hours before going back to work) and he responded with "Sleep?! Sleep?! I don't need no stinkin' sleep." >:/ At least he made it home ok (around 7 last night).

The church is having a shower for my sister next Sunday. We'll head down that way after church. My brothers and parents and I all went together to get them a stand mixer. She's been wanting one for the Christmas cookies and stuff that she makes each year but couldn't justify the price, so this was a nice reason to get her one. Ha ha, I don't think I remembered to tell ya'll the funny story about the quilt my mom gave her for Christmas. It's one she's had made up for years from a quilt top my grandma had done, she had planned to give it to my sister when she got married but finally gave up this year and gave it to her for Christmas...which was when she announced she's getting married. I got a good laugh out of that.

Nathan was being a pest this morning and sat in Dana's seat on the way to church, so when we got to church she asked him to hand her Bible to her out of the car pocket. He kind of tossed it at her and Jacob yelled at him in horror "NATHAN! That's GOD'S WORD!!!" ROFL. That's my boy.

I had an interesting thought about Biblical prophecy earlier. It fascinates me that so much of what was prophesied about the Messiah was not able to be understood until after the fact - I think there's a reason for that. I think it's because if prophecy was really clear and easy to figure out, it would be too easy to manufacture a false fulfillment of the prophecy.

It also fascinates me that so much of what Jesus himself referred to as fulfillment of prophecy, if you look back at the original text in the OT it almost seems as though he's taking it out of context. A good example is when Jesus is predicting Peter's denial and quotes "I will strike the shepherd and the sheep will be scattered." If you look up the reference (Zecheriah 13) it doesn't seem to have a thing in the world to do with the Messiah or anything surrounding him, but Jesus himself ties the two together. Fascinating...

No comments: