Thursday, March 26, 2009

Vacation pics

I don't remember if I mentioned this or not, but Will and I went to stay at a cabin in Eureka Springs for a couple of days this week while everyone was on spring break. The kids went to stay with my folks. It's the first time we've been anywhere without the kids since Dana was born, but we felt like they were all finally old enough to be without us for a couple of days. We had a lovely time.

We stayed in a private cabin about ten miles out of town. We were right on the edge of a valley (that statement pretty much describes our location no matter where we went, LOL) and I bet that later in the spring when the trees are green and blooming it's really beautiful down through there. It was so nice and relaxing to sit out on the porch swing and listen to the wind blow through the trees.


Here's a picture of the neighboring cabin, looking out from the right of our wrap-around porch. See how some of the trees have limbs that are snapped off and/or damaged? That's from the ice storm last winter. The damage up in that part of the state is staggering. In some places you would look out and almost every single tree - no matter how big - had the top snapped out of it. It's no wonder it was months before all the power was restored in some of those areas.


Here's a picture of our heart-shaped jacuzzi tub. Ahhhh. I miss that tub.


While we were there we visited the Christ of the Ozarks.


Next to the chapel there is an actual section of the Berlin Wall.



Very powerful to stand there and touch something that held so many people in bondage for so long. Loosely translated, this section of the wall says: And it goes even into the darkness. I have no anxiety! Psalm 23.


My husband, as some of you know, can't go anywhere without geocaching at least a little. Here are some deer who really wished we'd just move along already.


And here are a couple of pictures where you can get an idea of the ice storm damage.



This is the last 'vacationy' place we stopped at, the War Eagle Mill. We had a fabulous breakfast there (I had a whole grain waffle with blueberries and whipped cream - YUM) and then bought a bunch of yummy slow ground corn and wheat products, cherry butter, pumpkin butter, raw honey and sorghum, toys for the kids...lots of stuff.



OK there is a notice that blogspot is performing maintenance in a few minutes, so I'm going to post this while I can. Thanks for looking!

2 comments:

Unknown said...

Ooo - thanks for the pictures cutie!!! I'm so glad you guys went and did that - you needed thattime together!

Susie J. said...

What a beautiful place to escape to. The only time my hubby and I have escaped in the last many years was when we took a few days to go house-hunting in our new town. NOT relaxing and romantic.