Wednesday, July 8, 2009

Ever have those days when you just can't even scream?

Today is one of those days.

A guy from church came up to our house last week (was it last week? the week before? I don't even remember now) to help Will get one of his old trucks up and running so we could have a second vehicle again. Will totalled his car a few weeks ago, I'm not even sure if I blogged about that. Anyway, they got the engine taken apart and took whatever parts needed to be fixed to the machine shop, and then went to the auto store and ordered the parts they needed to order. The next day they went to pick up the partial order that had come in, Will paid $250 for the parts (all that we could afford to put toward this project - the guy is covering the rest because Will's giving him the Ranger that needs a transmission). Will started a job this Monday so the guy was supposed to come on over and start putting the truck back together alone. He's driving Will's Ranger because he doesn't have a vehicle, and he lives 30+ miles away, this way he doesn't have to have someone bring him.

He wasn't at church Sunday. We didn't think *too* much of it, he's on disability and works at his friend's restaurant whenever he's able to get some part time $$.

Monday comes, he doesn't show up.

Tuesday comes, he doesn't show up.

Today is Wednesday. He doesn't show up. Will called the machine shop to see if the guy had picked up the parts he dropped off, he hasn't even though they're ready. Then Will called to see if the guy had picked up the rest of the order at the auto store. They told him the guy came in and returned the other parts and got "his" money back for them.

Dammit.

So, while Will is on the phone trying to find out where this guy is (he doesn't have a phone, so we have to call around to see if anybody knows where he is) I go outside to spray the kids with bug spray and hear water running. I ask Nathan if his daddy came outside (thinking maybe it was the water hose) and he checked and said no. Crap. I holler into the house that I hear water running and Will comes out and goes under the house. It's the water heater. Water is pouring out of it. Crap. Lowes card is maxed out, the only open major cc we have is maxed out (had to use it to buy gas the past few weeks - it was paid off before that) and we've got automated drafts coming out in a few days so we can't use the unemployment funds. Crap. I remind Will that my mom asked me the other day if we needed some money and I told her right then we were ok but if we needed it I would let her know. He said "Call her, we're out of options at this point."

So I called her. Or, attempted to anyway. Have I mentioned that their phone service sucks ass? Well, it does. I tried three times and was about to throw the phone across the room (yes, Nathan gets his temper from me - some of it anyway) when it rang. It was mom. "Have you been trying to call us?" The phone would ring once and then stop on her end, so she figured it was us. Heh. So I tell her what's up, and Will gets on the phone with my dad to let him know what size water heater and all that, and they head to Sears for us.

I get to work picking up and vacuuming (which I was going to do today anyway, promise) and Will goes to call the forestry service to see about a job. He "passed basic qualifications" several weeks ago, and the site still showed the job being open, but nobody has ever contacted him. He decided to just call and go by today. Found out the position has already been filled even though the site was never updated. Very disappointing. It would have been a federal job, an engineering job (hello, past five years not a waste, thank you), fifteen minutes from home. Sigh. Very disappointing.

My folks get here, Will and I throw together a quick lunch, and then he takes a cold shower and gets ready to leave for work. Dad realizes we don't have all the parts here that we need so Will plans to pick that stuff up tomorrow.

I need a break.

No comments: