Tuesday, December 2, 2008

M is for...

(BTW, Betchie, I spit my cap'n crunch out when I read your comment. No fair.)

So, here is a list of ten of my favorite M things.

Microwaves - because we set ours on fire last night and I will finally get a new one! We've had this teeny tiny little thing since we got married, and it was given to us used then. Barely big enough to hold a popped bag of popcorn, it is.

Music - music has shaped my life. My siblings introduced me to music at a very young age. I grew up listening to the Eagles, Journey, Pink Floyd, Bruce Springsteen, U2, REO Speedwagon, Styx, the list goes on and on. My teen years were spent with Bon Jovi, Poison, Winger, Whitesnake, White Lion, Bryan Adams, Metallica, again the list is a long one. Attempted some country for a couple of years but it didn't stick. Now my cd cases are filled with Seventh Day Slumber, Flyleaf, Third Day, Jeremy Camp, Skillet, Red, and far more than I could list here. I am thankful beyond words for good, hard, rocking Christian music.

Movies - everything from sob stories to chick flicks to action, I love movies. Especially THE PATRIOT. *sticks tongue out at Betch* (Yes, I watched it again last week and thought of you and everything you're missing.) You can keep the horror and scary suspense though. My dreams are bad enough without those images in my head, thank you very much. Thank you Pixar for providing movies that my kids love and are funny and well written enough for me to not get tired of watching/listening to them over and over and over, because you understand kids and what makes them tick.

Moms - I may not have the greatest of relationships with my own mom (though it's not a bad one) but without my fellow jinglemoms I wouldn't be the person I am today. You have given me advice, inspiration, shoulders to cry on, stories to laugh at, friendship, acceptance, and so much more over the past ten years. Thank you.

Messenger - without it, I wouldn't get to talk to real, actual adults nearly as often so yes, I'm thankful for messenger.

Mornings - I may like to sleep through a good portion of them, but it doesn't mean I'm not thankful they're there. Each morning is another opportunity for me to watch my kids grow up a little bit more and tell my hubby I love him.

Mordecai - yes, the guy from the Bible. His story serves to remind me that no matter how bad things around us look, God is still in control and he is ever moving HIS people into position to bring about HIS will. Mordecai also reminds me that no action, big or small, is ever forgotten.

Milk - I love milk. I love the smoothness, I love the richness (keep that nasty skim stuff away from me, please), I love how it compliments sweets so perfectly well. I love the milk my body produced for my babies for so many years. I love how you can take milk and turn it into so many things - butter, cheese, yogurt, ice cream - all things that I love.

Mexican food - we were just laughing Sunday about how much Mexican food I ate when I was pregnant with Dana, and how the kids all love Mexican food as much as I do. Did you know the only Mexican food I ever ate growing up was taco salad (served over Fritos) and chili? I think I could eat Mexican food every day and not get tired of it. And what goes wonderfully with Mexican food?

Margaritas - they may be just an occasional treat for me since I'm really not the lush I may seem to be, but if I had to choose just one alcoholic beverage that I could have for the rest of my life, it would be a margarita. Tangy, sweet, mmmm mmm mmmmm.

There! I did it! Ten of my favorite things that begin with the letter M. I hope you enjoyed reading my list.

Editing - I'm going to add one more, if'n ya don't mind -

Matthew - my oldest nephew, who I think is currently struggling to find his real place in this world. He was the first baby I ever got to really have a hand in "raising" (they lived right next door and his mom is kind of a whack job, so he was at our house a lot) and I would have taken him with me everywhere if they'd have let me. I doted on that child. I can remember him sitting in his carseat watching me get ready for school, riding with us to church, sleeping in his crib just down the hall. As he grew into a toddler and older, it became apparent that he had a wicked funny sense of humor, and he still does. He was five years old when Will and I got married, and Will remarked (after being pelted with rice) "That kid's going to play baseball someday." He's currently attending college with a baseball scholarship. I don't get to see him that much anymore because he's off doing his own thing, and I miss him, but I hope he finds happiness and peace in whatever he decides to do.

OK, I'm done.

1 comment:

Unknown said...

LOL!!! I love your list! Now, what is this "Patriot" of which you speak??? LOL!!!!!!
Thanks for playing along,.